PHP is an open source, general purpose, server side scripting language and widely used by developers in India and worldwide. If you are planning to build a web application in an easy yet efficient language, PHP is the language you should choose. PHP language is user-friendly, Flexible, can be used cross-platform and is Open Source. So, the popularity of this language drags many developers to learn this language and enjoy developing excellent web based applications. Before planning to hire a PHP developer for php web development you should know about the language and the technology. In this article, we’ll discuss it further.
What is PHP language?
There are many web development languages these days and PHP is considered to the simplest among them. Basically, PHP is used to develop dynamic websites. So what is the dynamic content in PHP? You can simply make the HTML code work according to the dynamic features. For example: here are two snippets for HTML and PHP –
Simple HTML –
<html> <title>Hello World</title> <body> <h1>Hello</h1> </body> </html>
PHP Code –
<html> <title>Hello World</title> <body> <h1><?php If (date(G) < 12) ? 'Good Morning' : 'Hello World' ?></h1> </body> </html>
In the simple HTML code, you’ll always see Hello at any date and any time of the day. When HTML is embedded with the PHP code, in the morning it will show – What a beautiful Morning and other time it will show – Hello.
So, we can make our code dynamic according to any condition we want.
What are the reasons behind using PHP as a language for web development?
Along with the dynamic feature, let us check out what else PHP offers so that we can use it over other languages:
- Open Source:
The main benefit of using PHP is this is an Open Source language. You can use it anywhere simply and customize it according to your needs.
- Easy to Use:
For novice programmers also, PHP is very easy to start with. Like most other languages like JAVA, this language does not need to have complied. This can be embedded in an HTML file and run.
- Integrated Support for Major Databases –
To get database support from major and widely used database like MySQL, it needs no additional drivers to be installed. PHP has its own inbuilt database support for almost all popular databases.
- PHP runs on all type of platforms like Windows, Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X etc.
- This language is compatible with majorly all web servers like Apache, IIS etc.
What are the benefits of choosing PHP as a web development language?
There are various benefits according to most of the PHP developers in India which include –
- The output of a PHP is the file is not limited to text only or HTML output. PHP program can deliver a different type of file type extensions like PDF. Text, images or any textual data like XML, XHTML or JSON etc.
- The power of PHP can be seen from the widely used frameworks or CMS platforms that are built in PHP only. For example – WordPress, Drupal, Joomla etc. are the example of very popular CMS application. Frameworks that are built in PHP are CakePHP, Zend etc. which are widely used by most of the PHP developers. Also, famous shopping carts like Zencart, Opencart, Magento etc. are built with PHP language.
- The well-written PHP framework libraries are fast and drive to an error free development which the PHP developers are fascinated about.
According to some statistics, most of the PHP sites are developed in PHP language itself.
Image Source – Trends.Builtwith
The competitors of PHP are also very powerful languages like ASP.NET, Ruby On rails, Python Scripting etc. but the main advantage of using PHP is it is very easy to learn, easy to use and no additional platform is to be installed or required to run a PHP script as it can be easily embedded into HTML codes. This is the reason why there are many good resources and developers available in India in PHP technology.
What should you look for when you hire a PHP developer?
Smart applications can be built with PHP and that too very easily and efficiently. So, when you are hiring PHP developers, you should really look for these traits:
- PHP developers should be able to handle queries related to PHP and MYSQL
- They should be expert in at least one PHP based framework like ZEND or cake PHP and as well as should have knowledge of the basic PHP programming language.
- They should know dynamic website development and database management.
- Easy style of coding and writing of optimized code.
- PHP developer should be able to understand the business requirements well and should be able to implement them using PHP language.
- Error free and well-tested code should be the main objective of the PHP developers you hire from India.
- Should be able to implement database cache.
- Should use PDO or PHP data objects.
- PHP developers should know how to implement SSL using modern MSQLi
So, after quite a long discussions we can easily understand why PHP is so popular these days. PHP can generate page content which is dynamic, able to send and receive cookies, can add, delete or modify data in the integrated database, very easily control user access, data encryption is easy in PHP and PHP can be used to open, read or delete any file or extract data from a file. You can now consider PHP as a language for the development of your web application and consider hiring PHP developers who use a powerful language yet simple language to develop a web application.